By Ruoro Kairu
It’s a grave mistake most of us have committed at one point or another when applying for a job: writing a cover letter that does not augment our CV.
Common mistakes committed while writing cover letters include writing dull paragraphs that pretty much repeat what is written on your CV, or filling in irrelevant details which lose the personal appeal. These mistakes will likely lead the employer to pass over your application as it might appear too technical.
So, what strategies can you employ in your cover letter writing technique that will win over the employer? Here are a few dos and don’ts for drafting your cover letter to ensure it has the desired effect;
1. Don’t be repetitive
Ideally, you want to fill your cover letter with the top companies you have worked for, and any achievements you accomplished in your past. However, remember this is what your CV is for –giving a chronological approach to your professional history.
You do not need to regurgitate what’s written in your CV.
Instead, pick one or two of your core strengths and key achievements and expound on them further.
2. Connect with the company
A CV can at times feel too generic, especially if you just followed a common template. In your cover letter, however, you can remedy this by writing about why you would like to join this particular company.
When you want to sell your passion to joining the desired company, you should try answering these three questions;
i. Why are you applying to this specific company and not any of the others in the same field? What is it that you love about their mode of operation?
ii. What unique approach about the company do you like and how can you build to it?
iii. Do you believe the work being done by this company is impactful? If so, how impactful is it and where can you fit to this equation?
Answering these questions is integral to connect with the company. You should not answer them plainly. Instead, intricately weave your answers in your write up.
3. Show your human side
At any given time, recruiters are dealing with myriad applications to different positions. The process can get procedural and reduce the personification effect. This is because CVs have a professional and serious tone.
However, in the cover letter, you should feel free to personify your application. You can, for example, note a positive occurrence in the company dating back a few years and how you might have been directly affected. Not only will this drive attention to your CV, but it will also give your application a more human appeal.
Quick Read>>> Job Interview Preparation & Passing Interviews
With these tips, your cover letter will catch the employer’s eyes and lead them to your CV.
While applying for a job, the cover letter accounts for about 20% of your application. The remaining 80% is covered by the CV. As a result, the CV needs to have a professional appeal.
If you would like to have your CV professionally written you can email us a copy of your current CV draft. Our CV writing department will offer a free review on how to improve on the CV. We shall also embark on writing you a CV best depicting your past experience, achievements, and future aspirations.