Head Of Engineering Job, Current Engineering Jobs,
Reporting to Director Human Resources & Operations, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing leadership and management oversight for the technical services department in order to ensure the Hospital’s plant and facilities are in good working condition in line with established quality and safety standards.
- Develop creative and innovative strategies for technical services in line with the Hospital’s overall strategy;
- Translate the strategic aims of the unit into achievable plans, with established priorities and make periodic adjustments as required;
- Keep abreast of local and global best practices in technical services and make recommendations to the Director HR & Operations on how this impact the Hospital;
- Demonstrate ownership of and communicate the technical services strategic direction and objectives to all staff;
- Develop policies and procedures for technical Services and provide guidance to management in the interpretation and implementation of these;
- Continuously review and update and enhance the Hospital’s technical services policy and procedure manual;
- Prepare a schedule for the implementation of construction and maintenance works and services for the Hospital;
- Review construction designs, specification and bill of quantities, estimation reports in line with requirements;
- Oversee the preparation of design, specification, bill of quantities and cost estimation for constructions, and maintenance/modification and expansion works;
- Oversee building constructions and maintenance or modifications and report on progress as per the Hospital’s policies, procedures and guidelines;
- Ensure that payment certificates are prepared as per the terms and condition of the contract;
- Ensure planning permission has been duly applied for from relevant government authorities;
- Ensure that construction and maintenance or modification of buildings is done in accordance with the design, specification and the terms and conditions of the contract;
- Make periodic visits to construction sites as deemed necessary;
- Follow up the proper implementation of construction and maintenance or modification activities and submit progress report timely.
- Ensure that proper records and documents are maintained for construction in progress and terminated contracts;
- Plan, lead and monitor the performance of outsourced consultants and/or contractors.
- Advise management in selection of appropriate locations/sites for construction of buildings.
- Oversee the preparation of tenders for construction works and participate in the tender process for evaluation and selection of contractors/consultants/suppliers for construction and/or modification;
- Oversee modification and new constructions and ensure that works are completed within and the expected standards;
- Ensure that design works and contract documents for new works are prepared in accordance with laws, regulations, and standards prevailing in the Industry and the Hospital;
- In consultation with the Legal Department, ensure preparation of contract agreements for building construction, maintenance, modification and expansion works;
- Monitor service level agreements (SLA) and report periodically;
- Approve payments within the discretionary limits set by the Hospital;
- Prepare the Technical services budget and monitor its implementation upon approval;
- Identify, deploy and motivate the Technical services team including performance appraisal, identification of training needs, mentorship and coaching as well as leave and absence management in line with the Hospital’s people agenda; and
- Perform any other responsibilities that may be assigned to the job holder by the supervisor from time to time.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture, Quantity Survey, Mechanical, Civil or Electrical and Electronic Engineering or any other related field from a recognized institution;
- Master Degree in any of the above or any other related fields in Business from a recognized institution will be an added advantage;
- Must be registered professional with the relevant professional body in Kenya and hold a valid practicing license;
- Minimum of 15 years’ hands on technical experience with 5 years’ at Management Level;
- Project management skills. Must be a Certified Management Professional in project management programs or equivalent qualification.
Technical & Behavioral competencies
- Demonstrate in depth knowledge in Project Management, Architecture Quantity Surveying, Electrical and Electronic and Civil Engineering areas;
- Energy management skills
- Good IT skills and a familiarity with industry-specific software and modelling programmes;
- Excellent numeracy skills;
- Property contract management skills;
- Strong persuasion and negotiation skills. Ability to lead, influence and drive change initiatives in support of business strategies within the department/Unit
- Strong leadership and skills to foster teamwork; develop and motivate staff, resolve conflicts as well as ability to provide direction, guidance, momentum and vision in order to achieve organizational objectives;
- Demonstrated business acumen – able to create strategy and actions that impact business success;
- Strong communication and presentation skills including ability to develop proposals, concept papers, position papers as well as write reports and prepare relevant publications;
- High level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills, including ability to build alliances and collaborative relationships with sensitivity to diversity;
- Strategic thinking and problem solving skills. Strong expertise in strategic management, project planning and budgeting, resource management, implementation as well as monitoring and evaluation.
- Must be a self-starter, highly organized, and able to work well with people at all levels in the organization
- Analytical and creative thinking skills
How To Apply
If your background, experience and competence match the above specifications, please send us your application (cover letter & CV/Resume) quoting the job reference number, your current remuneration, testimonials and full contact details of 3 referees, to reach the undersigned not later than 19th March 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We shall ONLY accept ONLINE applications and contact SHORTLISTED candidates.
Candidates invited for interviews will be required to present both originals and clear copies (where applicable) of the following documents:
- National I.D.
- KRA PIN Certificate
- Current Colored Passport Photo
- NSSF Card
- NHIF Card
- Valid Certificate of Good Conduct
- Academic and Professional Certificates
- Certificates of Service from previous employers
Director Human Resources & Operations
The Nairobi Hospital
P.O. Box 30026 – 00100